Tuesday 22 February 2022

Week 51 - The Build

 A mixture of snagging and interior work this week! 

During the test drive my homemade glove box hinge pin fell out and dissapeared under the cockpit sole. I'm sure it will reappear one day. It was just a length of steel rod. The correct resolution would be to get a Ford Fiesta glove box hinge pin. They sell them om eBay - £16 !! Seems a bit excessive. A review from a previous purchaser also thought it was a lot for a Rawlplug! 

Like this ...


and here it is installed ...


Next job is to make and fit a panel to cover the brake servo vacuum pipe going through the inner driver side footwell. This was made from cardboard reinforced plastic covered in van liner.

Here it is fitted ...

Doesnt look too bad and the photo shows a hint of whats next! The covering of the cockpit sides.I used van liner for this. Much nicer than the supplied carpet. Also did the doors. 



Here it is finished.. Nice speaker grills fitted as well! I have trim to cover the tops of the doors and the aluminium strip under the door but will fit these pretty much as the last thing to prevent damage.

Making a start on the snagging. First job is thet the engine room bilge pump seems to not work. Afer exhaustive investigation of the switches and wiring I discovered that actually it does work - it just very quiet!

Next is the problem of the non working fuel gauge. I checked the wiring at the tank and tried but failed to remove the sender from the tank. Thought I'd take a look at the instrument cluster and it almost imediately started working again. I wiggled a few wires and couldn't get it to not work again so put everything back together.

I also tested the water drive clutch after putting on the new boot. It works lovely.

I'm not entirely sure about the brakes as I now see the front stbd. brake is binding. If it ever stops raining I'll go for another test drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 57 - The Test

 Got all the paperwork off to register it as a car now to test it as a boat!! Here are a couple of videos and some photos of it in action....